Monday, September 11, 2006

The day of rememberance

This day will always be a day that defined a generation. I,as everyone, will remember exactly where I was when I heard the horrifying news and watched the 2nd plane hit the World Trade Center live on television. It was a day spent with my heart in my throat. I could not contact my family because it was impossible to get a free line to the east coast ( we were stationed at Vandenburg AFB at the time). I have a very good friend who was there and trekked home over the bridge on foot with many others. I was so thankful to know that everyone I loved and held dear I was able to contact eventually; treasuring thier voices more then ever. It was a tragic day, one that made everyone feel unsafe, unsure and worried for the first time in our lives. Today, 5 years later I feel that we are getting some of that security back. I am glad that we take the time to be thankful for all of our firefighters, police officers, and military members and have a new appreciation for the sacrifices that they are willing to make as servants to the public and our country as a whole. The thing that gets me through the day five years later is HOPE... I have hope that we will continue to pull through this tragedy as a country united. I remember the days following the attacks when flags were impossible to find. Tim and I sat down and painted a flag on wood to have one in our front yard. The picture I chose for my post tonight is a picture of hope. I remember seeing this picture and you cannot help but think of the line in our national anthem.."but our flag was still there.."





As for all lost on this tragic day 5 years ago... we will remember... I will never forget. I know that there are so many families that have been ripped apart by this tragedy. God Bless America and all Americans.

1 comment:

Mom Mc said...

Beautiful sentiments Tammi. I remember also exactly what I did that morning. I received a call from my first Daughter -in-law to turn on the TV. I watched in horror at the site. It was about 9 am here and I put a call out to Sam in Vandenburg and woke her up. She had to go over to the neighbors I think as they did not have the cable hooked up yet. Was glued to the TV for days after that. May God Bless every one and keep them safe.